2 Years Ago I Was Getting Ready to Run My First Race!
Two years ago I had started blogging on tumblr and was getting ready to run my first 5K (Color Me Rad)!
Looking back over my January 2013 posts was very interesting for me and I thought I’d share some of the running milestones I was hitting back in January and February 2013:
– I went running outdoors for the first time ever. Previously I had been too self-conscious to run outdoors where other runners might see me and judge me for being too slow and too out of shape.
– I squatted 70lbs for the first time and knocked out seven reps!
– I run/walked 4 miles for the first time ever (at an average pace of 17 mins/mile) and was super proud of that distance PR
– I ran 8 and 1/2 minutes straight without taking a walking break for the first time ever (at 15 min pace)
– I ran a total of 45.5 miles for the month of January and felt proud of that “high” mileage
– On February 2, 2013 I ran my first 5K at Sunlife Stadium in Miami (where the Dolphins play).
I didn’t have a Garmin back then but I did wear my Jawbone UP which says I completed 3.2 miles in 41 minutes.
At the time I didn’t know anything about course measurements, but I am now highly suspicious of that finishing time because the course was NOT certified and the following two 5Ks that I ran took me 46 minutes (both of those courses were certified and chip timed).
It didn’t matter what my finishing time was though, I was ECSTATIC that I had actually reached my goal of completing a 5K! It was a big accomplishment and turning point in my life with regards to my health and body image.
The following week I ran my second 5K at Zoo Miami and it was tough. I remember crossing the finish line, grabbing a water and sitting down for a long time! I did not want to move to walk to the car!
Since then I’ve knocked off over 8 minutes from my 5K time, ran 3 half marathons, finished 1 full marathon and lost over 30lbs.
I’m proud of my accomplishments so far and excited for what the future holds!
Do you remember what your running goals/milestones were two years ago?
What do you remember most about your very first race?