2017 Running Year in Review
I can’t believe 2017 is about to come to a close. I only ran one race this whole year, The Color Run 5K back in April. That race was right before I admitted to myself I was having serious calf issues that would require medical attention.
Here’s how my year went.
- Started the year with a small running streak
- Calves felt really tight but tried to push through
- Calves felt horrible when running
- Signed up to run The Color Run 5K anyway
- Pushed through 8 miles (this was my last long run of the year)
- Ran The Color Run 5K
- Calves hurt but I felt inspired
- Calves got progressively worse
- Got to the point I could barely run for 5 mins straight
- Started the month still in denial about calves
- Thought maybe the calf muscles were weak
- Wondered if I could fix the calves by improving lower body strength
- Took a break from running
- Decided to go to physical therapy for deep tissue massage
- Started physical therapy and felt good
- Started running again and realized the calf problem was still there
- Saw an orthopedic surgeon with specialty in sports injuries
- Doctor said he thought I had exertional compartment syndrome
- Went for an MRI and came back clear
- With a clear MRI I was scheduled for the compartment syndrome pressure test
- No running
- Waited for my pressure test in August (long waiting list)
- Pressure test confirmed I had exertional compartment syndrome
- Had bilaterial faciotomies to release 4 compartments in both of my legs
- Went for my first run post-surgery
- Did a speedy run
- Got back up to 3 miles run/walk
- Ended physical therapy
- Went to a conference for work which caused complications
- 1 of 4 incisions popped open from swelling due to standing all day 3 days in a row
- Doctor thought the bad incision might be infected
- Doctor’s assistant put me under strict no running orders
- Spoke to doctor and he schedule me for emergency surgery
- Had a debridment of the incision to improve healing
- Under “limited activity with no running or excessive walking” orders until further notice
- Waiting to get stitches removed
- Hoping to get cleared to run before end of the year
- Looking forward to running in 2018
I’ve got some realistic but exciting ideas for what I want to achieve from running next year. I’ll be posting those goals here in the next couple of days. I am just nervous to post them before I know more about whether I will be cleared to run this week, or what an updated timeframe for that to occur will be.
The last goal I had was to run the Jingle Bell Jog this month and that goal is out the window, which taught me the lesson to not plan too far ahead until I’m officially cleared by my doctor.
I see him Monday so more on that soon!
How would you rate your 2o17 running year on a scale of 1 to 10?
What was the best running related thing you did this year?
What is one fitness related thing you hope to accomplish in 2018?