Hey there! Sorry I missed my normal Monday post but I was exhausted yesterday.
Adam and I worked on the house all weekend. It’s exciting to see the progress we’re making, but it stinks to feel exhausted instead of refreshed on Monday. We have gotten a lot done over the last two weeks though and we can now sort of see a light at the end of the tunnel!
Since I missed yesterday’s post I feel like I have so much to talk with you about!
1. New VLOG!
Instead of making a 5,000 word post I figured I’d put together a Day in the Life vlog from yesterday :).
I really want to get back into making a vlog at lease once a week!
2. Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookie Recipe You’ll Love
I recently bought the Tanya Bakes cookbook by Tanya Burr (one of my favorite YouTubers). It’s a collection of delicious dessert recipes Tanya’s created as well as some she’s curated from her friends and family.
The first recipe I made from the book is the Choc Chip Shortbread cookies! These have just five ingredients (only four ingredients if you count chocolate chips and white chocolate chips as one item) which is great for me since I don’t have a lot of patience for cooking/baking complex recipes.
The cookies came out crumbly, delicate and delicious – just the way I like them!
- 1.75 cups flour
- 1/3 cup caster/fine sugar
- 1.25 sticks cold butter
- 1/3 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix together flour and sugar
- Work the butter into the mixture with your fingers until you get a breadcrumb consistency
- Add in chocolate chips and work the mixture until a dough is formed (it’ll be crumbly but should hold its shape)
- Roll dough into small balls in your hand, flatten the balls out by pressing them together between your palms and lay out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper*
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes
*This is what I did, but the book recommends rolling the dough out with a rolling pin and then cutting the cookies into desired shapes
3.I Love Lucy (a Badass Feminist)
When I was growing up I Love Lucy was my absolute favorite show. I would record episodes onto VHS and watch them over and over again. Until Mindy Kaling came along, Lucille Ball was by far my favorite comedienne.
I recently started watching the show from Season 1 and am obsessed again.
Once thing I have noticed as an adult is how women are treated in the show. I definitely didn’t think about gender inequality when I was a kid but it’s something I can’t stop noticing now. In the show every time Ricky tells Lucy that he just wants her to be a good mother to his children I remind myself in real life it was Lucy who was the boss lady calling all the shots!
If you’re interested in reading up on Lucille Ball you’ll find she was a pretty badass feminist for her time, paving the way for ladies like Mindy and Amy Schumer today.
Lucy was the first woman to ever own a production company, and Lucy and Ricky were the first interracial couple on TV (something that Lucy fought for because CBS didn’t believe Americans would accept her having a Cuban husband).
Lucy wasn’t just right that Americans would accept her real life Cuban husband (Desi Arnaz) as her TV husband, but she would go on to make millions of dollars from the show because they would become such a beloved couple — all with Lucy running the show!
4. Calf Update: AHHHHHH!
I have been complaining about my tight calves on a consistent basis for a while now. They have gotten to bad that they do not loosen up at all as the run goes on. In fact, by the time I reach the 45 minute mark of a run I am in absolute agony with each step.
This is no way to live, and it’s making running completely NOT fun. (Although I’m not going to stop running or anything crazy like that!)
When I was at the doctor yesterday I talked about my calf issues and my doc said that I am retaining water. She said I could have an electrolyte imbalance, or I could be dehydrated/over hydrated. Or it can be related to Hashimotos, which I am being tested for again.
When my blood work comes back later this week I hope to have some clarity because running shouldn’t make me want to cry!
5. Presidents Who Brought a Cat to the White House
In honor of the important presidential election going on today I thought I would share a list of former US presidents that have had cats!
- 16th President: Abraham Lincoln had a cat named Tabby
- 19th President: Rutherford Hayes had two cats named Miss Pussy and Siam
- 25th President: William McKinley had two cats named Valeriano Weyler and Enrique DeLome
- 26th President: Theodore Roosevelt had two cats named Slippers and Tom Quartz
- 28th President: Woodrow Wilson had a cat named Puffins
- 29th President: Calvin Coolidge had four cats named Smokey, Blackie, Timmy and Tiger
- 35th President: John F. Kennedy had one cat named Tom Kitten
- 38th President: Gerald Ford had one cat named Shan
- 39th President: Jimmy Carter had one cat named Misty Malarky Ying Yang
- 40th President: Ronald Reagan had two cats named Cleo and Sara
- 42nd President: Bill Clinton had one cat named Socks
- 43rd President: George W. Bush had two cats named Ernie and India
If there is one thing that Democrats and Republicans can agree on, it’s that cats make for pretty great four legged family members :).
If you haven’t voted yet, be sure to get out there and make your vote count!
What was your favorite show as a kid?
Favorite kind of cookie/cookie recipe you want to share? 🙂