Exercise Benchmark Has Been Set!

Hey there! Sorry my last post was a little bit all over the place. I wrote it not long after taking a couple of Percocet. The good news is that I stopped taking Percocet a couple of days ago now :).

The First 5 Days Post-Op

My legs are healing really well! The swelling in my feet went away for the most part after 48 hours and completely after 72 hours. I’m pretty sure the swelling in my calves is gone now too but it’s hard to say since my legs are still wrapped up most of the time. The doctor wants me to keep them wrapped until I see him on Wednesday, so the only time I really see my calves are when I’m (quickly) showering.

I did switch from the sexy medical stockings to some basic ace bandages, and that honestly made me feel 10X better. Those stockings were awful and I’ll be happy if I never have to wear them again. They were clingy, hot and kind of loose in the thigh area so they were constantly falling down.

Adam has been so helpful carefully wrapping my legs up for me each time I shower. I’m grateful for his help because I don’t think I could wrap them neatly myself.

Having had both legs done at the same time I’ve noticed some differences in healing. My right leg seemed to start feeling better faster. The swelling went away in about 24 hours and it never really felt pain, only just some soreness. My left leg was in considerable pain the first day and still feels painful if it gets bumped near one of the incisions.

The whole thing is kind of bizarre because I can’t feel anything on the outside of the leg where the incisions are numb, but if I bump the area I canย definitely feel it on the inside. It totally messes with the mind when you’re touching your leg and can’t feel it.

As a side note, part of my left foot is also numb. My doctor told me that could happen and that feeling in all areas should come back within a couple of months. Truthfully, if the feeling never comes back it wouldn’t be the end of the world. The areas that are numb are so small it doesn’t seem like a big deal.

Physical Therapy

I was able to go for my first PT session last Thursday, so only two days post-surgery.

The physical therapist put me through a series of mobility exercises that lasted about 50 minutes in total. At first my calves and ankles felt extremely stiff, especially on the left side where the swelling was still apparent. After the session though everything felt a lot more loose.

I was worried that the exercises would hurt or leave me aching, but they actually left me feeling a lot better! I need to learn to be more trusting :). I was given a sheet of easy mobility exercises to do at home every day, and I have mostly enjoyed doing them. They don’t take long to do and stretching my calves feels really good.

The ankle exercises no longer feel like they are doing much for me as the stiffness and swelling is gone, but I’ll keep doing them anyway just in case. I’m sure it can’t hurt!

I won’t see my physical therapist again until after I see my doctor, so at that point I shouldn’t have anything covering my legs anymore. She said she may start massage therapy and or ice therapy at that point depending on what my doctor says about how things are healing.

The main goal of physical therapy is ensuring that I don’t end up with any scar tissue buildup. Now that the fascia is split open there’s really no way for it to reconnect and cause more issues unless I let scar tissue build up in there. I promise you I don’t intend to let that happen!

30 Minute Walk

Naturally I haven’t jumped into any formal or even informal exercise plan yet. I do intend to ask my doctor what I can and can’t do when I see him on Wednesday. Until then I know he’s encouraged me to walk as much as possible, so I’ve been doing what I can.

While my legs definitely feel like they are healing quickly, and I’ve been walking since Day 1, I still can’t walk for long periods of time without them feeling sore and fatigued.

Yesterday I went grocery shopping with Adam and (very slowly) walked around the store for about 30 minutes. By the time we got home my body was begging to lay on the couch for a little while, and my calves felt sore for the rest of the day.

I’m now counting that as my benchmark. I hope by this time next week I can do a slow, easy walk for 45 minutes. Or at least walk for 30 minutes without feeling wiped out.

I know the other day when I was hopped up on Percocet I said that I thought I could be back to easy, short runs within 4 weeks. I actually still think that’s doable; however, at the time I was imaging running a 5K as a short run, and now I’m thinking if I can run 1 mile without totally wiping myself out I’ll be happy!

I Have a Dream

On Saturday night I had a dream that I was running on a track in the middle of the forrest (I know this makes no sense) and my calves felt totally pain free. Tyler Oakley (a YouTuber I watch) was there and I shouted to him how freakin happy I was. I can’t wait to go for my first run to test these calves out!

I also had a dream/nightmare that Adam participated in an orgy and then went out to breakfast with his new “friends” and didn’t invite me. I was so mad that I started angrily talking in my sleep and Adam had to wake me up. That’s a totally different story though.

Have a great Monday! For my fellow Americans with today off from work, I hope you make the most of your long weekend! ๐Ÿ™‚

Any fun plans for today?ย 

PS: Unless something crazy/unusual happens this will probably be my last surgery related update for a few days. I’ll be posting updates to Instagram stories every day though, catch up with me there @KristinaRunning :).



  1. September 4, 2017 / 5:45 am

    So glad that you are feeling good! I think with the PT and walking you will be back to running before you know it. Hope you have a good Labor Day!

  2. September 4, 2017 / 1:56 pm

    LOL @ the orgy dream!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

    Does it matter what shoes your wear for your calves? I see you walking around in sandals. I mean, obviously no high heels but I doubt you wear those anyway!

  3. Susan
    September 4, 2017 / 3:45 pm

    Yay…this is such great news. I am so proud of you and can’t wait until you get to take your first run ๐Ÿ™‚ Keep up the awesome work!

  4. September 4, 2017 / 11:37 pm

    We thought it would be a fun idea to try to put together our grill today. It’s been sitting in our garage for 6+ months, so we decided that we would put it together and then grill out to celebrate once we were done. LOL. Turns out it’s a little more involved than we anticipated…. so that was out fun labor day.

  5. September 5, 2017 / 8:56 am

    Nike has a track that runs through the forest in Oregon! Maybe that was where you were dream running. And I’m glad to hear that your PT was helpful instead of painful.

  6. September 5, 2017 / 9:05 pm

    Sounds like things are going well. That’s great to hear!! So do you think you were overly scared about surgery, like it wasn’t really as bad as you feared it would be? (I hope so!)