The Fastest Runners on Earth
Last night was an easy 5K on the treadmill while watching the HEAT game.
Every time I see LeBron now I wonder what his 5K time would be. He’s an incredible athlete used to sprinting around, but he is also made up of 250lbs of muscle… (Meg: I think you could beat him in the 5k AND the 10k!)
After Google’ing around for the 5K times of professional athletes, I came across an interesting Instagram vid of Ochocinco.
You can think what you want about Ocho (aka Chad Johnson), former NFL player, but there is no denying that the man is FAST.
Here he’s doing “10.0 incline at 20mph. 5 seconds on, 20 seconds off, 5 seconds back on. (5 sets).”
Just in case you’re wondering 20mph is 2:59 minutes per mile pace. Obviously Chad’s only doing it for 5 seconds, but I still think that’s pretty impressive! My speedwork feels a little bit embarrassed by his speedwork!
Chad has also recorded himself running at 24mph with a 2.5% incline for 6 seconds:
And while we’re at talking about fast humans, Usain Bolt once reached a top speed of 27.49 miles per hour!
Of course that’s nothing compared to cheetahs — they can accelerate to 60MPH in under 30 seconds and can reach max speeds of 70-75mph!
10 Fastest Mammals According to Wikipedia:
Just this once you’ll have to excuse me for using Wikipedia as a source.
- Cheetah | Max speed: 70 – 75mph
- Free-tailed bat | Max speed: 60mph
- American Antelope | Max speed: 55mph (the fastest long-distance runner)
- Springbok (African Antelope) | Max speed: 55mph
- Wildebeest | Max speed: 50mph
- Blackbuck Antelope | Max Speed: 50mph
- Lion | Max Speed: 50pmh (females are faster than males!)
- Greyhound | Max speed: 46mph
- Jackrabbit | Max speed: 45mph
- African Wild Dog | Max speed: 44mph
And I just have to add #11: the kangaroo can reach a max hopping speed of 44mph!
Here’s a cute video of a small kangaroo hopping around some other small animals.
He’s just hopping around playfully, but it still looks kind of fast!
If you’re looking for an excellent read about how you can increase your speed, check out THIS POST from Cori @ She’s Going the Distance. She shares how she PR’d in 9 half marathons in a row (she went from a 2:24 to a 1:39).
Did you know the wildebeast could run so fast? I was shocked!
– I didn’t realize any species of bat could fly so fast either.