Can I just say you guys are my people?!
Whenever I want to talk about something running related that isn’t exciting it’s always the running community that I want to go to. Whether that’s dropping to a shorter distance, DNSing, DNFing, chafing, GI issues, failing to meet a goal … I never want to talk to anyone else about these things because I know they’ll probably say comforting things but they won’t really get it. That’s why I’m so happy to have this blog!
Let’s catch up on a few things!
1. South Florida weather is finally cooling down. Every run over the last few days has been in the low 80s and we may even drop to 68*F on Saturday night! Time to break out the boots and peacoat!
The cooler weather is definitely appreciated although the wind can go away! It almost makes me miss the “feels like 100*F” days. Almost.
2. My calves have been SO TIGHT. What else is new, right? I realized my Brooks Glycerins are getting pretty worn so I ordered a new pair yesterday. Hopefully they will arrive today or tomorrow!
I’ve been doing a very easy 10 minute warmup at the start of every run and then stopping to stretch, do calf raises and massage my calves. That seems to help some, but from minutes 8 to 10 I’m usually feeling REALLY crappy because of the tightness.
It’s extremely annoying because my calves usually do loosen up but they still don’t feel 100%. That means I never feel like I’m running at my full potential. My heart rate will be in check, my breathing will be fine but my calves will make me hold back. I need to figure out a solution – and fast!
3. I have a new Harry Potter themed mousepad. I spilled coffee on my old mousepad one too many times and finally gave in and ordered a new one. I think it’s beautiful (and it’s only $9 on Amazon)!
I know that all of my weekends from now until mid-December are booked with house renovations … but wouldn’t it be great to just relax on the couch with a HP movie marathon? Maybe that will be my reward when I’m on Christmas vacation :).
4. How beautiful is this? Over the weekend I saw a rainbow during my run. This really makes me miss the longer days of the summer. Now it’s mostly dark out or almost nightfall when I get to the beach after work.
Every year when fall comes around I miss running in the sunshine for a few weeks. Then I get used to running in the dark, and when the spring rolls around I get apprehensive about running in the daylight again!
I guess I am just a creature of habit and get comfortable with the way things are. You could say I don’t love change :D.
5. Georgie is making himself at home. We’ve been babysitting my mom’s cat, Georgie, for the last week while she’s on vacation. The last three times we’ve babysat for him he and Cecil haven’t gotten along well. They’ve tolerated each other but there was a lot of fighting.
This time we started out with some fighting and general unhappiness, but now they seem to be getting used to each other. They aren’t exactly sleeping curled up together but they can now eat next to each other. Progress!
When I came home from work yesterday I opened the door and they were both sitting there waiting for me. It made me want a second cat on a permanent basis! You know my motto: many cats is the right amount of cats. Adam doesn’t agree for some reason ;).
What does your mousepad look like? (if you’re on snapchat send me a snap: KristinaRunning)
Do you prefer running in daylight or in the dark?