As the weather warms up and we move closer to the summer I’ve got one important thing on my mind: marathon training!
I’m excited to start building my mileage again soon-ish; there’s really nothing like the reward of watching your weekly long run increase in distance and knowing that you are DOING IT!
Chicago is, of course, my capstone race of the year. It will also be my first big race of the 2015-2016 season which runs from September through February for me.
Here’s a peek at my racing schedule as it stands so far:
- September 27: Optime 5K
- October 11: Chicago Marathon
- November 15: Fort Lauderdale Half Marathon
- December 13: Best Damn Race Cape Coral Half Marathon
- December 20: Jingle Bell Jog 5K
- January 24: Miami Half Marathon
- February 14: A1A Half Marathon
I highly doubt I will stray from this schedule very much. Last year I was a bit too ambitious and thought I’d do about two or more races per month, but that’s really more than I can handle. Mostly because I cannot make myself get up at 4am two weekends in a row — and that’s about when you need to get up for the super early race start times we have in FL! 😉
I was wavering on BDR Cape Coral Half on December 13th, but then I saw that Ali chose BDR Cape Coral as her second full marathon and knew I had to sign up so I could be there to cheer her on at the finish!
As excited as I am to start marathon training myself, I’m also really excited that almost everyone in “my” marathon crew from last year will be in training again this summer!
If you’re not already reading these running blogs, I cannot recommend them enough:
- Ali (ABK Runs) – Best Damn Race Cape Coral Marathon
- Jenny (Run Jennifer Run) – Chicago Marathon and Marine Corps Marathon
- Hanna (The Millennial Next Door) – Milwaukee Marathon
- Cheryl (Why Mom Runs) – Monumental Marathon
- Lauren (The Foodie Runner) – Chicago Marathon TBD
- Helly (Helly on the Run) – Chicago Marathon TBD
Joining the fall marathon crew this year:
- Amanda (Slimplify Life) – Seattle Marathon
- LeAnne (This is My Faster) – Chicago Marathon
- Kerry (Yoga on the Run) – Chicago Marathon
- Heather (Girl Goes Running) – Chicago Marathon
- Maddie (Dixie Runs) – Richmond Marathon
Last year when I was making my way through training for Portland all by myself, reading other running blogs was so helpful. It was great to know that I wasn’t alone when flying through one long run only to have the next feel like hell. It’s also always really nice to share tips and advice with other people who get it and are going through it at the same time.
Ali, Hanna, Cheryl and I were all first time marathoners last year (Cheryl had already done a 50K). I kind of think of us as the freshman marathon class of 2014 and I’m excited to head into year two together!
How cheesy is this post? I swear running is the only thing in this world (besides Cecil) that makes me all emotional and gushy!
PS: If I left you off the 2015 fall marathon list by accident, please let me know in the comments or on Twitter and I will add you!
Should we start a Facebook group for summer training/fall marathon chatter?!?!
Did you or someone you know get in to Chicago via the lottery yesterday?
What’s your big race for this fall if it’s not a marathon?