My favorite type of book is the kind that comes in a series. I get really invested in characters, and feel a little sad when I turn the last page of a good book. One reason I love reading blogs is because they are like never-ending books where I get to read a new chapter all the time!
I don’t read a ton of blogs because it would be impossible for me to genuinely keep up with that many people. I subscribe to about 10 blogs at any given time, and about once every three months I go through my blog reader and delete the ones that I’m no longer reading (which makes room for new ones!). Yesterday was one of those blog de-cluttering days, which got me thinking about what I really like about my favorite blogs.
What I love to read about and see on running blogs:
– How much you ran today, yesterday and the day before. I like to know how many miles you’re running because I’m nosey like that!
– What you do outside of running. I don’t need all the details, but I like to generally know that bloggers have a life outside of running. It’s helpful to know I’m not the only one who struggles to get up early on the weekends, or who sometimes feels like she’s squeezing in a run at night after work and in between other obligations.
– Your favorite cross training activities. I haven’t posted about my cross training much lately because it’s been seriously lagging, but I like to try out things I read about on other running blogs.
– Pictures! I feel like it’s hard to get to know a blogger without seeing pictures every once in a while. I really like to see pictures that correlate to your training. For example, if you run on really pretty trails I’d like to see them!
– Frequent updates. If you don’t post at least once a week, I will probably stop reading your blog because I will forget who you are. Sorry!
– Writing that feels conversational. Attention to basic grammar and spelling is appreciated, but I generally don’t want to feel like I’m reading an academic journal. I’d rather feel like I’m reading an email from a friend. I comment on blogs that feel conversational because it just feels natural to. (I read a couple of blogs that I never comment on.)
About a month ago I stumbled upon the blog Glitter and Dust and it has quickly become one of my favorites. Kristen is a triathlete currently training for Iron Man Boise which takes place on June 7th. Her training recaps are incredibly detailed and include pictures. I find them to be very inspirational! Check out Kristen’s blog if you haven’t already.
What kind of posts do you like reading about? … I’m asking for a friend : )
Least favorite thing to see on a blog?
– I don’t like seeing posts that are 100% dedicated to product reviews. I don’t mind reviews, but I prefer to see them incorporated into a regular post.
Drop a link to one of your favorite blogs so I can check it out!