This morning I was supposed to complete Half Marathon Training Week 7 and tell you all about how I am now more than halfway to my goal.
That’s not going to happen because I only ran 5.5 miles this morning (along the beach):
Some things I learned during today’s run:
- Successfully running 6 miles one time does not mean I can run 7 miles
- Running 6 miles in 65 degree weather is not the same as running any miles in 80 degree weather
- Running 6 miles in the shade is not the same as running any miles under the south Florida sun
- A 12oz bottle of water is not enough when I’m sweating it out under the hot sun for 5+ miles
- Getting hungry around the 4.5 mile area is not a fluke – it has now happened on every one of my runs longer than 4 miles
- I need to find a good on-the-run snack to help me get past 4.5 miles (I don’t like GU)
- Sometimes digging deep means digging just deep enough to get your dehydrated butt home
Sometimes I forget that I’m really still at the beginning of my running journey.
I’ve been at it for a while now but I still have a lot to learn about fueling my body for long distances and how to adjust my pace for different temperatures.
About half a mile away from home I really wondered if I was going to make it today. I was so dehydrated that I could barely get my ring off my finger because it was so swollen. I tend to use The Ring Test as a hydration gauge even though it’s a thing I made up.
Once I got home I downed a glass of water and thought a lot about how I will hydrate for my next attempt at 7 miles.
I’m still thinking about it …. if you have any tips or advice PLEASE leave a comment below. I would really, really appreciate it!
I would especially love to hear what you bring on your run as fuel other than gels like GU.